Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Executor is better than SlickRun

Executor and SlickRun are keyword launchers for Windows. With a hotkey, you pop up a window and enter a keyword representing a webpage or desktop application to launch.

I’ve been using SlickRun for three years. But yesterday I switched to Executor. Why?

  • Unlike SlickRun, it's under active development.

  • It shows an auto-completion drop-down.

  • SlickRun sometimes caused my windows to go all flickery after launching a keyword.

  • Executor also looks cool.


I exported my keywords from SlickRun, massaged the output a bit, then imported them into Executor. Someone should write a conversion utility for this.

8 Comments:

  • I like Launchy a lot. I haven't tried Executor yet.

    By Anonymous Brian Armknecht, at 10/12/2009 10:26 a.m.  

  • I forgot the link:
    http://www.launchy.net/

    By Anonymous Brian Armknecht, at 10/12/2009 10:27 a.m.  

  • I've heard great things about Launchy. Will it let you create your own keywords for URLs and applications?

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 10/12/2009 6:47 p.m.  

  • Yes, it allows keywords for both urls and applications. I use like YubNub for corporate intranet urls since I don't want to put those on YubNub.

    By Anonymous Brian, at 10/14/2009 1:57 p.m.  

  • I use Executor in Windows, but can anyone recommend a similar launcher in Linux (specifically Ubuntu)? I like Gnome Do, but it takes more steps to run my most frequent searches.

    By Blogger Matt, at 4/09/2010 9:05 a.m.  

  • Matt: I haven't tried it, but evidently Launchy is available for Linux.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 4/09/2010 6:02 p.m.  

  • Found your blog today while reading YubNub stuff and wanted to toss in my favorite launcher, Find And Run Robot. Sort of silly name, but quite powerful (especially with plugins). And yes, it supports custom keywords and all that good stuff. Also, it's still under active development. :)

    http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/findrun/

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/03/2010 12:48 p.m.  

  • @Denn - Yeah, I have heard great things about Find and Run Robot.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/21/2011 8:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home