Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rubber Ducking method of Problem Solving

The C2 wiki has an interesting thread on rubber ducking. Basically you put a rubber duck on your desk. When you have a problem, you explain it to the duck, and 9 times out of 10, the answer will come to you in the middle of your explanation.

People on the thread also suggested a Winnie the Pooh doll, a teddy bear, a troll, a tubby toy, and a granite cobblestone.

If you don't want to go out and buy a duck, I have created a video below of me listening and nodding. Try bouncing an idea or a problem off me in the video.

2 Comments:

  • I've never heard of 'rubber ducking', but it certainly sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder if talking to a video of a real person is more or less helpful however. Is the effectiveness of the rubber duck the fact that whilst it has a friendly appearance, it isn't able to respond?

    Once again Jon, I'm in awe of your way of thinking. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/30/2010 12:21 p.m.  

  • @Paul - Regarding "rubber ducking", I've heard that this term applies when you go up to your coworker and say, "I have a question, blah blah blah - OH! Never mind - I've got it. Thanks for your help!" And all the while, your coworker was just nodding. So it could be a rubber duck, but more usually it's a coworker.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/21/2011 8:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home