Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

[Mac: Entourage] Possible solution to Entourage events not being obvious enough: OmniGrowl

Today I missed a meeting at work. I set up an Entourage reminder to remind me 10 minutes ahead of time, but Entourage reminders are barely noticeable. All you see is a clock icon appear on your dock - it doesn't bounce or attract any attention.

I'm trying out a shareware notification program called OmniGrowl ($12) which should make things better. It pops up a Growl notification for your iCal events (I sync Entourage with iCal). The notification is a rectangular notice that appears on the right side of your screen - you have to click it to make it go away.

OmniGrowl also has a bunch of other notifications (like weather and rss feeds), so I turned those off. I also was able to turn off notifications about all-day events, which I didn't want.

We'll see how it goes.

1 Comments:

  • Explanation of some options:

    "iCal Now notification is given 10 minutes before" - this setting adjusts how far in advance to give a notification. I've changed it to "5 minutes before" for now.

    In the Growl preferences, for OmniGrowl, the "iCal 30 Minutes" option lets you enable/disable the notification that appears 30 minutes in advance. And the "iCal All-Day Tomorrow" option lets you enable/disable the notification for all-day events.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 8/13/2010 10:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home