Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Yay - Latin part 1 done

Rejoice with me! In my quest to learn Latin, I have finished typing out the Nouns table 200 times, using my Dowling's Wheel webapp. Evidently if I memorize this and five other tables, I'll be well on my way to reading Latin fluently, according to the article Latin by the Dowling Method.

Memorizing the first table was a fun way to spend a half hour in the evening for the past couple of months. If you've ever thought about learning Latin, check out the above article.

5 Comments:

  • Wow. Great idea! I was very interested in the article about the Dowling Method. Thanks!

    By Blogger MAB, at 2/14/2010 9:42 a.m.  

  • Glad it helped, Mary!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 2/14/2010 3:02 p.m.  

  • Have you tried a memory program like Anki or mnemosyne? I've been pretty happy with my memorization results, and it typically requires far less than 30 minutes/day.

    By Blogger あじ, at 2/15/2010 1:25 p.m.  

  • I'm using Mnemosyne to memorize Scripture. How does it compare to Anki, and which do you like better?

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 2/15/2010 1:40 p.m.  

  • I think I prefer mnemosyne's spacing algorithm, but Anki really has a good UI and a lot more features. It has the ability to do custom views for "cards," so, for instance, I have some Japanese cards that I can selectively show in Kanji, Hiragana, or "Romaji" form, which is really cool. The advanced features aren't necessarily intuitive to use, but they are handy.

    By Blogger あじ, at 2/15/2010 2:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home