Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Morning Pages: 3 pages of stream-of-consciousness journaling

I love getting up in the morning because I get to do my "Morning Pages", which are 3 pages of stream-of-consciousness journaling to kickstart your creativity. It's one of the ideas from Julia Cameron's creativity book Vein of Gold.

Other things the book has you do is have a weekly "Artist's Date" (weekly artistic experience), and write your "Narrative Timeline" (autobiography). My autobiography is currently at 7k words - I'm aiming for 15k. It's fun to remember childhood and schooldays!

Morning pages take me about 40 minutes.

2 Comments:

  • I've done morning pages for about 6 years now. None of the other exercises from that book stuck -- but morning pages are a really great way to generate ideas and to keep a clear mind.

    By Blogger Kai, at 6/19/2007 2:06 p.m.  

  • Kai - Very cool! And I need to subscribe to our blog!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 6/20/2007 7:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home