Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Sunday, March 27, 2005

YEAAAAAHHHHH!!! GTD Weekly Review Complete!

After a lapse of 37 days, I have finally completed a GTD weekly review. Celebrate with me! [dance]

The GTD Weekly Review is a painful two hours. After 1 hour, my mind is frazzled. I'm going to split my review into two: 1 hour for the review, then do something completely different, and back for the final hour of torture.

To those who have no idea what I am talking about, the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology is a system for organizing the hundreds of actions that you need to do in your life. In a nutshell: get them off your mind and onto written lists, and review these lists weekly. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the gist of it.

I was wondering what I would give up for Lent, and now that the end of it has arrived, I see I gave up my Weekly Review! ;-)

4 Comments:

  • Interesting concept, this GTD.

    I've definitely gone through phases myself where everything is put into a list. The habit of reviewing those lists I was never to good about...
    Some believe that excessive lists are bad for our psyche, but I always find that my poor brains will forget things if it doesn't record its thoughts in some way. =P

    Darius is right about all this Web 2.0 stuff, in regards to how it just feels as though your mind is actually expanding faster than ever before. With all the new stuff we run across each day, it certainly seems like it's worthwhile to take some time to review it all.

    Besides, Darius always taught me to review the events of each day and record anything that is significant to remember. The idea is that it helps you build strong memory, which helps for learning and certainly helps one network effectively!

    Good stuff. =)

    By Blogger Darren Torpey, at 4/13/2005 8:13 p.m.  

  • Hi Darren - Hey, nobody is good about reviewing the lists - the review is the part that everybody complains about (including meself). And yet it is the master key to the process.

    Interesting idea about reviewing the day and recording it. Many people have adopted this practice (Benjamin Franklin, for one).

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 4/13/2005 8:29 p.m.  

  • Wow, this post is two years old and still up there in Google. Good job!

    Are you still doing GTD? This may help with the Weekly Review.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/18/2007 3:59 p.m.  

  • Nice post, Stephen - thx!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 4/18/2007 7:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home