Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Friday, June 05, 2020

Why IntelliJ is better than VSCode

I've been trying to use VSCode as my main text editor for several months, for Python/Java/JavaScript. But there are important things that VSCode can't do that a dedicated IDE can do with ease. For example, I just got this Java exception when running my code in VSCode:



But will VSCode let me click the line to jump to the code? No it won't unfortunately. IntelliJ will. In fact, IntelliJ will even let me set a breakpoint in the code so I can stop and look around.

And I was really hoping that VSCode could serve my editor needs for any language.

2 Comments:

  • I am inclined to agree on this.

    The other thing Intellij manages much better than VS code in my opinion is source control.

    However, VSCode has a lot of plugins for code snippets and feels lighter..(does not spend as long indexing, etc.).

    Maybe a mix and match is the way forward? I always rely on Intellij for Java projects but use VSCode mainly for JS/React etc.

    Liliya

    By Blogger LilSteph, at 6/22/2020 3:50 a.m.  

  • Yeah I’m still trying to use vs code for everything because it loads faster. But I guess I’ll need to bring out the big guns when needed.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 6/22/2020 10:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home