Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

T.S. Eliot's Ash Wednesday

Because it is Ash Wednesday tomorrow, I give you the first few lines of T.S. Eliot's poem of the same name.

Because I do not hope to turn again
Because I do not hope
Because I do not hope to turn
Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope
I no longer strive to strive towards such things
(Why should the aged eagle stretch its wings?)
Why should I mourn
The vanished power of the usual reign?


It's one of my favorites – go find it in your local library and give it a read! Or even better, listen.

2 Comments:

  • A Nursery Rhyme, As It Might Have Been Written By TS Eliot

    Because time will not run backwards
    Because time
    Because time will not run
    Hickory dickory

    In the last minute of the first hour
    I saw the mouse ascend the ancient time piece,
    Claws whispering like wind in dry hyacinths.

    One o'clock,
    The street lamp said,
    'Remark the mouse that races towards the carpet.'

    And the unstilled wheel still turning
    Hickory Dickory
    Hickory Dickory
    dock

    -- Wendy Cope

    By Blogger Thomas David Baker, at 3/09/2011 7:39 a.m.  

  • Very nice, Mr. Baker. Very nice.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/21/2011 7:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home