Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Sunday, March 08, 2009

A Trip to Palo Alto

Here I am on a rare trip away from Victoria. I'm in Palo Alto in California - let me show you around in 5 pictures.

Picture 1162
Here's my temporary desk while I'm out here. It's a spartan setup. Basic 30"-high table, patio chair, standard-issue grey waste bin. That big 30" monitor on the other desk is not mine, alas.

Picture 1170
I'm staying at an old hotel called the Cardinal Hotel. It was a first-class hotel in the 1920s. It's a charming place. Here I am standing on a chair in the Cardinal Hotel.

Picture 1177
Palo Alto is an interesting mix of the old and the new. Buildings that once housed cheese shops and laundromats in the 1930s are now inhabited by high-tech startups. And some old-style cheese shops and laundromats are still around.

Picture 1178
Here's my place of worship while in Palo Alto: St. Thomas Aquinas Church. It's in the Gothic style. Almost everything you see is made of wood.

Picture 1157
I brought my essential gear for the trip, including the keyboard, earbuds, and trackball that I'm used to. (And of course, index cards!)

Aren't index cards the greatest?

4 Comments:

  • This documentation is great.

    By Blogger Jeff Werner, at 3/09/2009 1:10 a.m.  

  • Index cards are sweet but they can't hold a candle to whiteboards!

    The continuing use of the patio chair over the super adjustable high tech chairs appeals to me in some way I can't quite define - just make sure you always drop into Bruce Lee fighting stance when it makes that gong sound!

    By Blogger Thomas David Baker, at 3/09/2009 5:42 a.m.  

  • I would have guessed that upon taking up photography you would be a genius at this as well!

    Some really original compositions here Jon, I'm particularly intrigued by how you took that shot of yourself walking down a street in Palo Alto without your camera getting stolen!

    As to your office set-up, temporary or not, you deserve far better than a patio chair and being without your own 30" monitor. For shame!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/09/2009 6:04 a.m.  

  • Hey Jeff - Glad you like it! Someday I need to blog about the day I saw you at Granville Island!

    Tom - You're right - the real estate of a big whiteboard is truly wonderful.

    Paul - Haha - Yeah you have to be quick when leaving your camera on the ground unattended for a few minutes!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 3/09/2009 8:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home