Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Adler: "When I'm reading a Great Book, I never read faster than 20 pages an hour, and sometimes slower than that."

Here's the author of How To Read A Book on a radio program, talking about how he reads the Great Books.

To a teacher of speed reading: "You can't be a fan of mine and be a speedreader."


"It's terribly important for each of us, for everyone, to find a number of books that are over their heads."


"Sometimes it takes me ten days to read one book, or even longer than ten days, because I'm really working at it; I'm trying to make that book part of myself."

1 Comments:

  • For those that enjoyed the clips from "How to Read a Book" I would like you to know that these are taken from thirteen 14 minute programs done by Adler and Van Doren in 1975. Last year in my work as the Archivist for the Center I located a complete set of the original VHS tapes. In an agreement with Encyclopaedia Britannica, we have transferred these programs to DVD. They are available at The Center for the Study of The Great Ideas

    Ken Dzugan
    Senior Fellow and Archivist
    The Center for the Study of The Great Ideas

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/22/2009 5:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home