Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Remember when RAM cost $50 per MB?

Remember the days when RAM cost $50 per MB? I had 2MB on my 386 - it was slow.

My friend Nick had 8MB of RAM - I was so jealous. He could run Word 6.0 and, unlike me, he didn't have to wait for his words to appear on the screen after he typed.

A rich friend of ours had 32MB of RAM! That must have cost him $1600.

Nowadays 2000MB of RAM doesn't seem like enough.

5 Comments:

  • On a similar note, I had a conversation with a friend today in which he used the word 'Petabyte', yet it doesn't seem that long ago that the word 'Gigabyte' had the same unattainable quality to it.

    I remember when I brought a 120Mb hard drive for my Amiga, and whilst you could perhaps get 500Mb drives, it was easily out of my price range!

    Fast forward to today, I'm not sure I could achieve anything if I had only 120Mb of storage available to me. I mean, that's probably only 30 MP3's or a hundred or so (small compressed) photos. Mind boggling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/13/2008 5:27 p.m.  

  • Amiga? Lucky!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 9/13/2008 7:05 p.m.  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Manfred Moser, at 9/17/2008 2:22 p.m.  

  • Ha.. what do mean a harddisk with the Amiga. I had additional RAM to up it to 2.2MB and an additional floppy drive. That was it.. and of course I knew how to trim and customize the startup-sequence and load a whole floppy into the ramdisk.. those were the times.

    By Blogger Manfred Moser, at 9/17/2008 2:23 p.m.  

  • mosabua - hardcore!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 9/17/2008 7:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home