Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Sunday, July 01, 2007

O'Reilly's Safari Books Online - handy service for reading technical books online

Currently reading on O'Reilly's Safari Books Online: Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering. An entertaining book on software-development pitfalls. 4 stars on Amazon.

I'm growing to like O'Reilly Safari Books Online. Each month, for $20/month, you can read 10 titles online (from O'Reilly, Addison-Wesley, and some others). I like it because it's cheaper than buying the book, and I don't have to wait for the book to arrive. Downsides are that they might not have the book (I was looking for "Debugging by Thinking" and "Debugging: The Nine Indispensable Rules", but it had neither); also it's more comfortable to read hardcopy rather than off your computer monitor.

But the immediacy is hard to beat. If there's a book I want to read, I check if Safari carries it, and if so I can start reading immediately. The YubNub command to search for titles is saft, e.g., saft PHP Cookbook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home