Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Monday, June 04, 2007

Co-workers sought (programming)

The company I work for, Ning.com, is looking to hire more programmers. If you, gentle reader, are a rockstar developer, a connoisseur of code, a poet of programming, I want to know. Because maybe, just maybe, you and I will be working together in the near future.

It is a burden to work with code suffering from convoluted logic, eating exceptions, and duplication; it is a joy to work with code that is clearly named and clearly designed. Take a look at the code I wrote for Ning Forums (PHP, JavaScript) and Ning Groups (PHP, JavaScript) – if it resonates with you, if on reading it you feel as one to a kindred spirit, do get in touch! And send me a pointer to some of your best work, either by email or in the comments.

5 Comments:

  • Hi Jon,

    Where is the job based? Or can it be done remotely?

    By Blogger Thomas David Baker, at 6/05/2007 11:30 a.m.  

  • Hi Thomas - It's based in Palo Alto, CA (home of Xerox PARC and other legends of the Silicon Valley, past and present). But I work remotely from beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 6/05/2007 9:09 p.m.  

  • Hi Jon,
    I would be very interested in working for Ning. I have been working for six years with the UBC Bioinformatics Centre as a Web Developer mainly using PHP/MySQL I think I might have the right skill set. Could you tell me more about Ning where to apply etc. It's kind of funny coworkers where discussing the need for a "social network for network for scientists when I came across Ning which would be a perfect match for many research labs that do not want to be in the Facebook realm.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/13/2007 5:32 p.m.  

  • Hi Scott - Great to hear from you. Would you willing to email me some code you've written so I can get a feel for your coding style? Also let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer for you.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 6/13/2007 8:45 p.m.  

  • Code can be PHP, SQL, Javascript, Erlang, HTML, CSS, Haskell, assembler - anything you like :-). I might struggle with the Haskell and assembler though. 10, 20, 30 files of anything would be good.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 6/13/2007 8:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home