Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Web 3.0: An extrapolation

From a fruitful conversation with my colleague David Warner:

  • Web 1.0 = the read web

  • Web 2.0 = the write web (remember how hard this used to be, just a few years ago?)

  • Web 3.0 = the machine-readable web ("semantic web" – RDF, microformats, etc.)

  • Web 4.0 = the machine-writable web (!) Is this AI? What implications would this have?

  • Web 5.0 = ?

4 Comments:

  • I'd love Web 3.0 but will it be really possible to dominate Chaos?

    By Blogger sys.out, at 11/29/2006 1:01 a.m.  

  • Hi Gina - I hadn't thought about it being spam - dang!

    sys.out - Chaos - perhaps that is the "?" in Web 5.0. Perhaps it is chaos in a good (evolutionary) sense.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 11/29/2006 9:28 p.m.  

  • Funny how the Internet works in emergent stages. We are currently part way into Web 2.0 AND Web 3.0, it isn't going in a straight line.

    Web 4.0 - Let me choose what program/form/website I'm going to use and just work! The reverse of Web 3.0 (let me have my data where I want, 4.0 would be let me put my data how I want). This smells of OpenID, YubNub, and WebOS in general.

    By Blogger Singpolyma, at 12/19/2006 12:27 p.m.  

  • Hi Stephen - Yeah I've got to check out OpenID - it's been hitting the headlines of late.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 12/20/2006 12:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home