Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Project Gutenberg Top 100

This is awesome--the Project Gutenberg Top 100, listing the top 100 public domain online books and audiobooks by download in the past day, past week, and past month. I was lamenting my present lack of good bedtime fiction (and the fact that the bookstores are now closed for the evening), but this provides ample reading of the highest quality.

I'm currently listening to an audiobook for The Valley Of Fear, according to Amazon one of the best Sherlock Holmes novels. And it is exuberantly read by someone with the perfect aristocratic British voice. There is just too much good stuff here!

5 Comments:

  • Dang. Did your full post feed die? / a habitual opt-out:er of feeds I can't pick when to read where.

    By Blogger Johan Sundström, at 8/31/2006 6:04 a.m.  

  • Hm! Thanks Johan for letting me know--Blogger changed its setting on me. Fixed now.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 8/31/2006 12:06 p.m.  

  • I don't know where to post these suggestions for yubnub, so I do it here, sorry.

    * Sort commands by popularity, and let the more popular a command is the more short it should be. There's no point in letting unuseful commands having a short name just because they were created earlier. Now we need democracy, kinda '''CommandRank'''
    * Add AJAX to Yubnub and it will rock ! (why do I have to load a new page for having the list of the commands ? why don't we change "some examples" and "popular searches" with a dynamic ajax table which explains me the command I'm just typing in ? why do i have to write "xe -amount" and not just "xe -a" and let ajax autocomplete the command ?)
    * Add users: I register and Yubnub recognizes me via cookies: I don't need "popular searches", I need commands I often used or commands '''I''' should like.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/02/2006 11:38 p.m.  

  • Hi Anon--Actually we do have a popular sort--it's at http://www.yubnub.org/kernel/most_used_commands

    Ah, Ajax. There has been at least one attempt to make an Ajax-autocomplete interface for YubNub. Perhaps the easiest and best thing to do would be to make a YubNub API to make it easier for people to build such things.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 9/02/2006 11:42 p.m.  

  • Hey Matt – yep, Project Gutenberg rocks!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 10/24/2006 6:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home