Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Sunday, July 02, 2006

"Find Window" -- command-line version of Expose, for Windows

I've written an AutoHotKey script called fw.ahk (fw for "Find Window") that basically lets you type part of a window's title and it will bring it to the foreground i.e. it will activate it.

For example, suppose I have a bunch of Firefox windows open. I know that one of them has "parameters" in the title, so I activate it by typing: Win-R fw parameters

Or if Outlook is open, I can activate it using: Win-R fw Out

It's kind of like a command-line version of Expose :-) Note that it is unfortunately case-sensitive.

AutoHotKey is a free Windows scripting/macro language/system.

fw.ahk

SetTitleMatchMode, 2
Search = %1% %2% %3% %4% %5%
WinGetTitle, Title, %Search%
WinActivate, %Title%

fw.cmd

fw.ahk %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

2 Comments:

  • I used AutoHotScript for a short time but then needed to reformat my computer. I found each script to take up a good amount of CPU usage, do you have this problem?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/03/2006 1:04 a.m.  

  • Hmm...I haven't noticed yet. Then again I'm mostly using the autohotkey.ini file rather than individual scripts--this is the default script that stays resident in memory for doing things like string replacements and key swapping.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/03/2006 12:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home