Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

ClipX -- very good (free) clipboard extender for Windows

I've been trialling ClipMate (clipboard extender) but I've just found a freeware alternative that has all that I need. It's called ClipX. It's unfortunately limited to 1000 clips (wish I could adjust this to be unlimited). But the good thing about it is that it has incremental search. So I just press Ctrl+Alt+V and start typing a few letters from the clipboard entry I'm looking for.

Other clipboard extenders have been found lacking. ClipMate itself seems to only incrementally search the clip titles rather than the whole clip. CLCL is lacking search functionality if I'm not mistaken. Ditto is fantastic but slows to a crawl after a while (perhaps unlimited clips isn't such a great idea). Yankee Clipper has a 200 clip limit and no incremental search. etc. etc.

So I'm going with ClipX for now.


9 Comments:

  • Have you tried version 3 of Ditto? It's officially still beta, but is entirely stable for me (on both Win2k and XP Pro). The storage switched to SQLight, and so far the speed seems good with a few thousand items.
    The only speed issues I had were after putting there a number of very large pictures. But when most items are text it works fine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2006 3:47 a.m.  

  • Do you know Clipdiary. I use it and rules!!!. You can get from http://softvoile.com/clipdiary/?s=cdm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2006 1:50 p.m.  

  • yaron--yeah I unfortunately tried version 3.2 beta of Ditto, and on two different occasions, and it rocks but after a while it just slows to a crawl for me (takes 5 seconds to open). Which is too bad because it has so many good things going for it.

    Remora--I'll check it out--thx!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/06/2006 11:38 p.m.  

  • In that case I hope these speeds problems will be fixed before I hit myself whatever caused you the delays. So far I really like Ditto more than the competition.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/09/2006 4:17 a.m.  

  • Yaron--yeah me too. ClipMate doesn't incrementally search the whole clipping (just the first 50 chars or so). Alright I'll give Ditto another go.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/09/2006 9:22 a.m.  

  • I just noticed one called clipguru at http://clipguru.com - It's fairly new and still in beta, but it works for me and doesn't seem to have database size limitations.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/14/2006 1:06 p.m.  

  • matunus--thanks for the tip--I'll give it a go if ditto doesn't work out again

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/16/2006 10:09 a.m.  

  • there is a plugin for clipx that records all your items to disk, so that you can keep the limited number in memory for instant access and search, and still keep everything for archival.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/29/2008 7:36 p.m.  

  • Hey Anon - Thanks for the info!

    Actually though I'm using Ditto these days.tdvzqu

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 1/30/2008 8:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home