Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Saturday, December 10, 2005

RSS is the new Did You Know ... ?

The company I work for recently started a new public tech blog, and it struck me how similar the idea is to those helpful "Did You Know ... ?" windows that appear when you install a new piece of software. I love Did You Know windows because they teach me about the new software in bite-sized pieces.

Every complex web app or service would do well to have a Did You Know feed to teach people tips and tricks. Here is a little DYK icon that you can use for feeds for your new products and services:


7 Comments:

  • I'm going to seriously consider this! Perhaps I'll use Snippets as a test bed.. :) I might find another way of presenting it though, as the button won't make much sense to anyone and sounds like 'dick' unfortunately.. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/10/2005 3:54 p.m.  

  • That's great for those in the know, but how are the people who don't know meant to know about what "DYK" means?

    I think I just confused myself.

    Maybe there's a few more concise and self explaining alternatives

    By Blogger Dan, at 12/10/2005 4:06 p.m.  

  • Hi Peter - right - good phonetic observation

    Clockwerx - yeah, it isn't too obvious, is it. Maybe "Did You Know?" in tiny letters.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 12/11/2005 4:26 p.m.  

  • HI..LONG TIME NO SEE.
    THIS IS HYUN.
    I AM SORRY FOR NOT KEEP IN TOUCH WITH YOUR FAMILY.
    I DON'T HAVE ANY SPEAKING TO YOU AND MOM.
    LONG TIME AGO, I GOT YOUR MESSAGE
    FROM EMAIL. BUT I DIDN'T RESEND BECUASE OF ANY REASON. I THINK I BECAME TO GET AFRAID OF SPEAKING AND WRITING IN ENGLISH.
    PLEASE UNDERSTAND FOR ME.

    HOW ARE YOU DOING? I AM WORRIED ABOUT MOM. SHE WAS SICH I THINK.
    I HOPE YOU ARE GOOD. ANYWAY, THERE ARE STILL STUDENTS TO COME IN VICTORIA FOR LEARING ENGLISH?

    OH MY GOD. I HAVE TO ATTEND THE CONFERENCE IN OFFICE. I WILL SEND AGAIN. HAVE A GREAT TIME.

    BYE.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2005 11:24 p.m.  

  • Very clever!

    By Blogger Fin, at 12/15/2005 6:34 a.m.  

  • Hi Kang-Hyun - Great to hear from you again - it's been a lot of years! I'll send you an email.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 12/16/2005 11:47 p.m.  

  • Hi Mike - good point - it can stand on its own.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 12/29/2005 10:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home