Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Yahoo! Maps Restaurant Reviews



I have created a Restaurant Reviews app based on Yahoo! Maps. The cool thing about it is that it might be the first Yahoo! Maps app that automatically chooses between the Flash and AJAX versions of Yahoo! Maps, depending on the capabilities of the user's browser (using code from Macromedia's Flash Detection Kit).

Here are a couple of PHP classes that others can use to do the same thing: YahooMap.php, FlashDetectionHelper.php.

(Actually, under the covers it lets you switch between Google Maps and Yahoo! Maps at will, but I commented that out to keep it simple).

(Props to Nancy Chacko for testing it out and generally stomping on it, and to David Sklar for writing the original Restaurant Reviews).

6 Comments:

  • You never cease to amaze me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/19/2005 7:25 p.m.  

  • Thanks Jayson!!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 11/22/2005 11:23 p.m.  

  • Whoops - Victoria, not Vancouver. But anyway, BC.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/28/2006 6:06 p.m.  

  • Hmmm... I guess my first comment didn't show up...
    Hi Jonathan,
    Thanks for making this great free application. I've been looking for something like this, for a friend who wants to write some restaurant reviews. I've created a test site, but find that I can't make maps for restaurants in Toronto. I'm surprised at this since your profile says you're in Victoria. Is it a limitation of Yahoo maps? Am I doing something wrong?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/28/2006 6:10 p.m.  

  • Hi Alex - Try http://restaurants.ning.com - it's an updated version of the Restaurants app and it works for Canadian addresses.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 12/28/2006 6:15 p.m.  

  • Hey, thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/28/2006 6:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home