Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Idea: "Textpodder" -- A GUI for Textcasting

Update: I have written a Windows program called Audiolicious that lets you turn any RSS feed into a podcast. You'll find it over here.


Note: I have not implemented this GUI yet. It's just an idea I have: Textpodder. Like iPodder did for podcasting, Textpodder would be a GUI that would let you add RSS feeds to convert to podcasts, but using text-to-speech. You could subscribe to different blogs, and each one would get their posts converted to MP3s and placed in the appropriate directory. Just like iPodder, but for text.

The blogosphere has heard complaints about the quality of podcast content being quite poor, compared to the written word on the web. Textcasting nicely solves this by combining the quality of textual content with the convenience of mobile audio, thanks to the magic of text-to-speech.

It's a neat idea. Bloggers who are hopeless verbal communicators, but fantastic writers -- authors who hadn't originally intended their writings to be read aloud -- unwittingly become instant podcasters through textcasting.

And who makes the textcasts? The author (push)? The end-user (pull)? A third party? These are all interesting modalities.

2 Comments:

  • Jon,

    This is really interesting! I've been lurking away, reading your RSS feed and watching what you've been doing and I have to say you've been really working on some cool stuff. I'm going to give this a try once finals start to wind down. One note is that having all these packages to download and install will be problematic for all but the geekiest of geeks. I'll post when I have my first podcast!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/19/2005 6:05 a.m.  

  • Hi Todd - Yeah, Audiolicious is definitely very cool. I use it every day to listen to articles that I have del.icio.us'd. Usually I listen while I'm on the bus or at a bus stop.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 4/19/2005 6:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home