Jon Aquino's Mental Garden

Engineering beautiful software jon aquino labs | personal blog

Sunday, April 24, 2005

How to Live on 24 Hours a Day

Just finished reading the famous essay How to Live on 24 Hours a Day and I think it's going to be a lifechanger for me. It's basically about how to make the most of the 16 hours between finishing your work one day and starting your work the next. I'm looking forward to: reviewing the day during my evening commute, learning something difficult for 90 minutes every other evening, and building my concentration skills during my morning commute.

I was shocked when I read this: "You say your day is already full to overflowing. How? You actually spend in earning your livelihood--how much? Seven hours, on the average? And in actual sleep, seven? I will add two hours, and be generous. And I will defy you to account to me on the spur of the moment for the other eight hours."

Yikes! Where do those other eight hours go?

5 Comments:

  • Pack pack pack!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 4/25/2005 7:00 p.m.  

  • WEEKDAY HOURS...
    - WORK: 10 (including lunch)
    - COMMUTE: 1.5
    - SLEEP: 7 (ideally 8!)
    - HYGIENE: 1 (shower, shave, brush teeth)
    - 2 MEALS: 1
    - EMAIL/IM/PHONE: 2
    - READING NEWS / OTHER SITES: 1
    - STRETCHING/EXERCISE: 0.5
    - BILLS/HOUSEHOLD CHORES: 1 (watering plants, doing dishes, sweeping, taking down trash, etc...)

    That's 25 hours. Doesn't include TV, surfing the Web for fun, playing games, writing in my blog, planning a vacation, etc. etc. etc.

    See where the time goes? ;)

    By Blogger AdamTest, at 7/07/2005 1:49 a.m.  

  • Adam - Nice breakdown! (25 hours!)

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7/07/2005 11:50 p.m.  

  • Lots of maintence...home, car, body, garden, finances and bills, etc...

    cooking, eating, cleaning, going to the bathroom...

    computer, tv, naps, meditation, other mental/physical breaks...

    If I toss in having children as I do, the list becomes endless and the days turn in to years and fly by...

    How do we fill 24 hours?

    Who is counting anyway?

    By Blogger ks, at 4/14/2006 11:01 p.m.  

  • Hi ks - thanks for that!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 4/14/2006 11:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home